BASIL DARK LADY
A perennial Basil that is easy to grow and will produce tasty, colourful and aromatic basil leaves nearly all year round.
Use the fresh leaves in the same way as you would use normal Fresh Sweet Basil leaves - in salads, pesto, sandwiches, pasta sauces, cooking and teas.
It grows best when planted in full sun, or a minimum of 4 hours direct sunlight.
As a decorative specimen it is ideal to grow in containers as long as the soil has good drainage and it is give organic fertilizer at least once a month.
Grows about 80 cm in height and 50cm wide.
In the Garden:
• Perennial varieties:
• Needs protection during winter. Cover with frost cover or move to a more protected area if planted in a container. These varieties will give you basil flavour and fragrance in winter.
•up to 1.5m, Spread: up to 1m.
• Full sun; Well drained, composted soil.
• Pick fresh leaves during the growing season,
• Remove the flower heads regularly to encourage leaf growth and a more compact, bushy plant.
• Vegetables: Plant with Beans, Cabbage, Peppers, Summer Savory, Tomatoes,
• Plant with Fruit trees,
• Do not plant with: Rue.
Use fresh leaves and flowers with:
• Avocado, Aubergines, Beans, Cabbage, Peppers, Salads, Tomatoes, Onion, Squash, Potato, Cucumber,
• Beef, Chicken, Fish, Lamb, Pork, Liver, Shellfish, Veal, Sausage,
• Cheese, Eggs, Omelets, Soufflés, Scrambled and Creamed eggs, Corn bread, Muffins, Stuffing,
• Asian dishes, Italian dishes, Mediterranean dishes,
• Salad dressings, Sauces, Pesto, Oils, Vinegars, Garnishing, Butters, Soups,
• Seeds soaked in water make a refreshing drink.
Basil may be beneficial in the following cases:
• Lowers fever,
• Fatigue, Detoxifying,
• Steep a few leaves in wine for several hours as a tonic.
• Mild sedative action, Insomnia, Anxiety, Antidepressant properties,
• Headaches, Migraines.
• Acne, Skin infections,
• Antiseptic, Rub on insect bites, and stings to relieve itching.
• Made into a cough syrup with honey and taken as an infusion for colds.
• Improves digestion,
• Nausea, Abdominal cramps, Gastroenteritis,
• Against Bacterial infections and intestinal parasites.