Time to add a twist to your next Mojito?
Pineapple Mint not only adds some exciting colour, but also brings a fruity flavour to the occasion.
Use it in any food, drink or sauces as you would use normal mint and experience a new foodie favourite.
Hardy, deep green, highly aromatic, serrated oval spearmint flavored leaves. Greatly prized for jellies and sauces. Used in confectionary, cosmetics, natural insecticides and medicines.
Ground cover. HL25cm W:spread. 12cm, 17cm.
Most gardeners know Agastache as anise hyssop, the spiky, blue-flowered plant that smells like anise or liquorice. Anise hyssop is a versatile plant that will attra plenty of butterflies in its own right. Agastache are hardy, drought tolerant, low maintenance plants, but they need to get acclimatized before they really take off. They like a rich soil and seem to over winter better if you don’t cut them back until spring. Excellent as a herbal tea and in pot-pourri.
Shrub. H:50cm W:40cm. 12cm, 17cm.
Mint Julep punch
With the delicate taste of Mint Julep, this is a must have during the hot summer days and is easy to make. All you need is,Mint Julep, Ginger Ale, Soda water, Julep extract, lemon slices and ice. Steam the leaves and let cool down, strain the juice, add the remaining ingredients to the liquid, add fresh leaves to the punch and enjoy.
In the garden:
• Perennial, Dormant in Winter,
• Pennyroyal: Groundcover with soft Purple flowers, up to 30cm,
• Lawn Pennyroyal and Corsican Mint: Low growing groundcover,±2cm. Ideal to use between stepping stones,
• Plant Mint in containers or dedicated areas, where the growth is restricted,
• Frequent pruning forces lateral branching and healthier plants.
Most varieties: Height:
• ±60 cm; Spread: If allowed, will become invasive.
• Full sun; Well drained, composted soil.
• Pick fresh leaves throughout the year.
• Vegetables: Plant with Broccoli, Brussels sprouts, Cabbage, Cauliflower, Squash, Tomato,
• Herbs: Plant with Chamomile,
• Do not plant with: Parsley,
• Attracting Beneficial insects: Hoverfly, Wasps, Other,.
Use the following Mint varieties:
Apple Mint, Black Peppermint, Chocalate Mint, Garden Mint, Mint Julep, Pineapple Mint and Spearmint,
•Beans, Cabbage, Carrots, Peas, Potatoes, Salads, Fruit Salads,
•Drinks, Homemade lemonade,
•In brownie batter or sugar cookie dough, Desserts, Jellies, Mint Sauce, Salad Dressing, Sauces, Sorbet, Vinegars,
•Line a pretty bowl with whole fresh mint leaves and fill it with strawberries or melon balls,
•Mint Tea: Especially chocolate, apple, peppermint, spearmint,
•Add Chocolate mint to Filter coffee for a great tasting indulgence,
•Garnish to vegetables,
•Middle Eastern dishes such as tabouleh.
•Eau-de-cologne mint makes an interesting addition to potpourris and herbal sachets.
•Add Mints to bathwater for an invigorating bath.
Mint may be beneficial in the following cases:
Black Peppermint and Garden mint is the most popular to use for medicinal purposes
• Extracts of many members of the mint family (Lamiaceae) have considerable antioxidant activity due to the presence of phenolic acids such as rosmarinic acid.
• Gingivitis (periodontal disease).
• Tension headaches, and where migraine is associated with digestion,
• As a Nervine it eases anxiety and tension, ADD, ADHD,
• Fainting, dizziness.
• Relieves pain and reduces sensitivity,
• Relieves itching and inflammation when applied topically.
• Has a calming effect on the body and can help soothe a nagging cough,
• Diaphoretic (induce increased respiration), and helpful with colds,
• Temporary treatment for nasal catarrh as an inhalant.
• Stimulates bile secretion,
• Of value in gall bladder disease.
• Digestive tonic,
• Anti-spasmodic: as a tea for settling an upset stomach, heartburn, stomachache, indigestion, colic, flatulence,
• Slightly anesthetizes mucous membranes and the gastrointestinal tract,
• Plays a role in treatment of Ulcerative colitis, Diverticulitis and Chrohn's disease,
• Stimulates digestive juice secretion, Poor appetite,
• Prevents Nausea and vomiting, Travel sickness,
• Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS).
• In painful periods it relieves the pain and ease tension,
Preparation and dosage:
• 2-3 Cups daily.
• 2 ml after meals.
• Pregnancy, Anxiety neurosis, Nervous excitability.