Herb Articles per Category
SUPER HEALTHY EGGPLANT
"IT IS EGG PLANT SEASON!"
One of our favourite veggies to plant in the gardens.
It is so easy to grow and rewards you with an abundance of tasty fruits with little effort.
One plant can produce up to 5 big fruit that are super healthy for us.
It features prominently in the Mediterranean diet, recognized as a Healthy Living Lifestyle.
Make this delicious Summer Salad with your own homegrown Egg Plants:
Make this delicious Eggplant-Feta-and-Mint-Salad
COOKING WITH DILL
Dill can be used in many ways such as in salad dressings, pasta sauces or pickling.
It is a particular favourite in fish dishes.
Something else about Dill is that it is easy to pick and use in dishes if you grow it in your garden.
If you are not growing Dill yet, now is the time to plant it in your garden.
Read more about Dill
SPICE UP YOUR LIFE
Did you know Cayenne Pepper is considered a Superfood?
It is one of the most incredible plants because of all its health benefits.
Just to mention a few ways Cayenne pepper may benefit you:
- Boosts your metabolism and assists in burning more calories
- Improves hearth health and increases circulation
- Relieves pain and inflammation
It is the season to grow your own Cayenne Pepper, add some to your food and feel the benefits it may give you.
Read more about Chilies.
GROWING HEALTHY PARSLEY
Are you battling to grow a healthy Parsley plant and missing out on all the flavour and natural nutrition ?
You can also have success with Parsley by following our “Secrets to Success” :
- Plant in an area of the garden where it gets at least 4 hours direct morning sun
- Place an organic mulch around the plants to ensure you keep the soil moist and prevents drying out – dry soil being the biggest enemy
- Feed with an organic fertilizer at least once a month to ensure healthy roots and leaves
Give it a try and enjoy some Homegrown Parsley !
To give parsley its due here are 10 ways to use it – in addition to its ability to pretty-up a dish.
ZESTY LEMON BALM TEA
Lemon Balm tea is thé trendy tea to make this summer.
You can have it as an iced tea or warm.
To make Lemon Balm Tea:
- Add 3-4 Tbsp of chopped up Lemon Balm leaves to a medium sized pot
- Add boiled water and steep for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Serve with honey.
Enjoy your own healing tea with Homegrown Lemon Balm !
SPINACH ~ NATURAL GOODNESS
Using freshly picked Spinach is not only rewarding, it is also beneficial to your health.
Spinach contains both Vitamin C and Iron.
Iron is absorbed easier when taken with Vitamin C.
Spinach is easy to grow and a natural source of essential vitamins and minerals.
To enjoy Organic, Homegrown Spinach ... discover the secret of successful herb and vegetable gardening !
FRESH CORIANDER is the BEST
A BIG Shout-out to all the Coriander / Cilantro / Dhaniya lovers!
Spring is around the corner, the time of the year where you can enjoy an abundance of Coriander in your garden. Such joy to go out and pick fresh bunches of leaves every day.
Only a lack of imagination will limit the use of fresh Coriander leaves! Sprinkle it on cocktail snacks, salads, sandwiches and find an excuse to use it on every dish you make!
But what to do if you have an oversupply of fresh Coriander leaves?
Bring out the Chimichurri recipes!!!
O yes, this classical Argentinian sauce will open up a new world of culinary delight for you. And the best part of having Chimichurri sauce in the fridge? You will always have your favourite Coriander taste on hand, even if the garden fails to produce. Packed with flavour and a refreshing tangy taste, it brings many ordinary dishes to new levels of excitement. Top this with the fact that it is super easy to make!
Have the following on hand to make your Chimichurri sauce:
- 1 cup fresh coriander leaves, lightly packed
- 1 cup fresh parsley leaves, lightly packed
- 3/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 4 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons onion or shallots, chopped
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 2.5 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon of freshly chopped oregano
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoons chili pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoons black pepper, freshly ground
Combine all the ingredients and blend with a high-powered blender until you have a smooth sauce.
Put it aside and allow the sauce to sit at room temperature for about 30 minutes for the flavours to develop.
Use at your heart’s content.
CHIMICHURRI ICE CUBES
If you made a bit extra then store your Chimichurri treasure in the fridge for 2 to 3 weeks. If you were so enthusiastic that you made even more, then it is easy to freeze it.
Scoop the sauce into ice cube trays and once frozen, toss them into freezer bags or containers according to your preferred serving size. Defrost when needed.
3 Ways to use your homemade Chimichurri sauce:
- Drizzle over hot, grilled vegetables just before serving
- Mix into softened cream cheese and use as a spread for crackers or toasted ciabatta
- Combine it with mayonnaise and diced chicken for salads and sandwiches
A SUNNY POSITION
What is one of the most important aspects if you want to succeed in growing your own Herbs and Veggies?
Morning sun is better if you have the option.
Only have direct sun available in the afternoon?
What about soil, fertilizer etc? ..... Read more